Macpherson Was Right!

"Try Another Path!"
oil on canvas, 36" x 24"
sold

Kevin Macpherson was right. The power of doing little studies outdoors, then using them as reference in the studio is the only way to go.

This is the largest piece to date . . .and I itch to get really big . . . .at 36" x 24" I had to reach to get at it (okay, I'm a short guy!) . . .

Those studies I did over the weekend in the wind, and the photos I took set this piece in motion. I used the photos for a few minutes to get a general idea . . .then in the drawings, stretched the height of the big cliff to exaggerate the feeling of altitude.

Then I buried the photos. Yup! Totally hid them so I couldn't be tempted to get near them. This painting had to come from the heart. I propped up the studies (the three posted paintings from the last few days) . . .looked at what I liked and didn't like and set some small goals for this studio piece. I let the plein air pieces be my guide then improvised from there.
We can always improve on everything we do, but I think this painting says what I wanted it to say. It is loose in areas, tight in others, the colors are harmonic and there is a sense of space and atmosphere that works. Could it be better? Of course! But considering the few pieces I have done so far to date, I am happy with it.

Now, of only Macpherson would say the same thing!! :-))
(P.S. I wonder what I'll say a year from now!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,