Adjustments


This is yesterday's piece with adjusments made . . . .


For the life of me, I cannot get the colors correct in a photo of this piece. But there is enough of a difference to see some of the modifications I made.



First, I dreamt all night about the value of the rocks going accross the picture plane. They were waaaay to light and had to be changed. Next, I also realized that while the very edge of the rocks, as they enter the water are very dark . . .even black in places. There is a 'water line' up the rocks in another value until the value grades to the natural, dry color of the rock. This is due to tides wetting the rock in progressively higher water heights . . . thus leaving behind a near stepped gradation of color and value.


The rocks are alive with color . . .if one looks. And every surface reflects something back. (I have found rocks to be the most challenging, and the most fun, of any subject I have ever painted. I suppose that is why I keep going back.) So . . . .I had some major changes to make to cause the rocks and water to merge . . . edges, values and colors.


The big red cliff face was indeed a copper color with red highlights, which I have purposely exaggerated as the center of interest, but, no matter what I do in Photoshop, I cannot calm that intense red in this photo.




The foam along the edges of the rocks is in shadow and is a dull violet in the painting, but doesn't show up here. Poop!




The fact is that I had a fantastic time painting this and making adjustments. As I have said before, this whole enterprise is about learning and trying to break through to a new level. I cannot imagine anything that would so entertain me as this is. Thanks to all you readers who make comments . . . even the negative ones (which are welcome here, by the way).




Not that there isn't enough to do, but I can see that I need to learn more about Photoshop!

Labels: , , ,